Every now and then, you probably decide to see how well your company is ranking for certain search terms. Chances are, you type a phrase into Google and feel pretty chuffed when you appear quite high up.
Well, without wishing to burst your bubble, you might be labouring under a false impression and are being fed results that have been skewed by your search history.
There is an easy way to see what a stranger/prospect actually sees when they conduct a search using the same key phrases:
- Click on the three vertical dots at the top right-hand side of your screen.
- Select ‘New incognito window’.
- Type in your search terms and you will get a truer picture of how you are ranking.
Although you’ll still see PPC ads, this process is more about checking your organic (non-paid) search results.
On a related topic, if your website is regularly updated with fresh content or has recently undergone some design tweaks, you might not see the latest version when you type it into your search bar.
Before shouting at your IT or marketing team, make sure you’ve refreshed your cache! It’s simple:
- Go to the pages on your website that have been updated.
- Press Ctrl+F5 at the same time
- You will be presented with the revised page (sometimes, you might need to press Ctrl+F5 a couple of times)