We offer work experience to A-Level and post-graduate students at fixed times during the year.
Our programme will give you a real insight into what it’s like to work in a creative marketing agency and the importance of the work we do on behalf of our clients.
During your placement, you’ll benefit from the advice and encouragement of the RMS team. You’ll see first-hand what we do, understand how and why we do it and get stuck into some real work.
Our programme will:
- Open your eyes to the world of marketing and its different disciplines
- Give you the opportunity to tackle a brief and deliver a presentation on your final day
- Show what it’s like to be part of a team and also the importance of using your initiative
- Teach you new skills
- Help you develop the soft skills, attitudes and behaviours expected in a work environment
- Inform your career choices
We want you to leave RMS with valuable experience and the confidence to talk about your experience at university and job interviews.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
Although no two days are ever the same in our world – and depending on which of our teams you join - your experience will include:
PR & Social Media
- Reading newspapers and identifying stories relevant to our clients
- Drafting press releases and articles
- Building media lists
- Researching bloggers
- Planning and writing social media posts
- Participating in brainstorms
- Organising mailers to journalists and bloggers
- Coding web pages and eshots
- Exploring content management systems
- Collaborating with designers
- Using Creative Suite
- Taking a brief
- Undertaking desk research
- Developing ideas and concepts
- Taking feedback and refining your work
- Using Creative Suite
- Planning paid advertising campaigns on Google and Bing
- Working on a live campaign
- Learning about organic search (Search Engine Optimisation)
- Getting to grips with Google Analytics
- Pulling together great reports and insights
We take students on work placement between 1 June and 30 September each year.
The following timetable should help with your planning:
|Applications accepted between||Applicants notified by||Placement takes place between|
|1 November - 31 January||15 February||1 June - 30 Septemeber|
Please note: we are not able to accept any applications or offer any places outside the dates set out above.
The first day of work experience can be quite daunting. There’s no need to worry because everyone at RMS is very friendly and welcoming. The following should address some of your concerns:
How long are work placements at RMS?
Our placements are for 5 days but we will consider requests for longer periods once students are in place.
What should I wear?
Comfortable, casual but smart clothing. For example, trousers/top; trousers/blouse; trousers/shirt; skirt/top; smart jeans/top; or dress.
What times will I be working?
9am to 5pm.
Will I get a lunch break?
Yes, you’ll get one hour for lunch. Although there are lots of places to get food near our office, you might want to save money by bringing a packed lunch or something to go in the microwave.
Is it easy to get to RMS?
Our office is a 3-minute walk from Altrincham Metro and Bus station. If you aren’t familiar with Altrincham, ask anyone where the Market Hall is – our office is opposite that in a building called MyBuro. Look out for a massive tree and you’ll have found us.
Do I need to bring anything?
No, we have all the equipment you’ll need but you might want to bring a notepad to take notes during the placement.
Will I be paid?
No, and we don’t offer reimbursement for travel, accommodation or meals either. However, if your placement is extended, we will pay you a discretionary amount to cover such expenses.
Will I receive anything at the end of my placement?
Yes, you will receive a certificate confirming your attendance and work undertaken. A reference will also be supplied upon request.
Will I be offered a job?
There is no guarantee you will be offered a job at RMS following your placement. However, depending on your performance, we will certainly keep you posted about any suitable vacancies that arise in the future.
HOW TO APPLY
Remember, we operate in the world of communication so if you’re serious about working at RMS, you’ll need to convince us why you’re the best candidate. We look for students who have a genuine interest in marketing.
Please don’t apply if you’re simply looking to fill your work placement slot with ‘something, anything’ … it isn’t fair on those who have a real interest in our industry.
It sounds obvious but please double-check the contact details you provide because if we’re unable to reach you, we may have to offer your place to someone else.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we won’t provide feedback on unsuccessful applications but WILL let you know by 15 February whether or not you’ve been successful.